History

A brief history of Marymount College

In 1954, the Sisters of the Good Samaritan were invited by Archbishop Beovich to establish a College and Convent in Adelaide and to staff a parish school. There was a need for a secondary school in the fast developing area of Marion.
Early in 1955, Sister Dominica McEwen, who was teaching in Port Pirie, was asked by her superiors in Sydney to supervise and help design the buildings for the secondary school and convent. Marymount College opened as a secondary school for girls on February 7th, 1956.
During 1975 and 1976, education in the South West Region of Adelaide was reviewed and it was decided that Marymount would be part of a three tier system of education. When the transition period was completed by 1978, the College commenced a new phase in its history, as a year 6 – 9 Middle School for girls.
During 1997 and 1998, the Catholic Education Office together with the School Board, the Principal and staff, considered the proposal to relocate to an ex-education department school site at Hove.  We moved to Hove in 2000 where we enjoy excellent music and art facilities, 3.5 hectare of open space, including a joint usage oval, shared with the Holdfast Bay Council.  There is also a state-of-the-art Home Economics facilities, well equipped Science Laboratories and we are currently completing a new multi-purpose facility and canteen.

Principals of Marymount College

2017- current  Ms Shana Bennett
2016               Ms Maria Canala
2014- 2015     Ms Sara Scungio
2013               Mr Greg Parker

2006-2012      Mrs Mary Camilleri
1996-2005      Ms Veronica McCaffrey
1982-1995      Mrs Ruth Dunne
1979-1981      Sr Mary Smith sgs
1976-1978      Sr Patricia Dillion sgs
1972-1975      Sr Mary Clothilde sgs
1970-1971      Sr Francis Borgia sgs
1968-1969      Sr Mary Paula sgs
1962-1967      Sr Mary Edmund sgs
1956-1961      Sr Mary Dominica McEwen sgs